Understand Your Buyer > How To Convert > The DIY Effect
What is it?
The DIY Effect occurs when a potential buyer considers meeting their own need rather than using a professional.
Why does it work?
It works because the buyer believes it to be the cheapest and easiest option – although often it leads to delays and costly errors due to a lack of experience.
How can you use it?
Depending on your offering, there will be a number of reasons why using a professional is more advantageous which you can include in your messaging:
- Quality/Results – Professionals work to a higher quality as they have better equipment and materials. They are capable of doing things that you can’t – that’s why they are professionals.
- Speed– Professionals tend to work more quickly as they know what to do and have the appropriate equipment.
- Errors – Professionals often get the job done without issue. The DIY approach may have unforeseen problems.
- Cost – Professionals might “charge more” but the value of your time and cost of materials and any issues can soon mount up. Doing something yourself is never “free” as your time and the cost of your errors can soon add up, it’s just that these elements are hidden from view.
- Discounts -It’s common for professionals to access discounts and trade prices that are not available to the public. Such discounts can reduce or eliminate what you actually spend on their services.
- Connections – Professionals know the other professionals and services you might need to complete the project.
- Tools – Professionals have access to tools and software that you don’t have as a consumer.
- Legal liability – Some things, such as electrical or gas works must be carried out by a professional. Not everything can be completed by amateurs.
Like this kind of stuff? Want more?
Understand Your Buyer:
100+ ways to reach, engage and convert people to buy using psychology, science and common sense.
In the book we cover:
✅ How people work – 18 factors that affect client behaviour.
✅ Selling Communication Basics – 12 ways to communicate more clearly.
✅ How to get attention – 18 ways to stand out and be noticed.
✅ How to engage – 27 ways to engage potential buyers.
✅ How to convert – 10 ways to convert prospects to buyers.
Everything in the book works and is backed by psychology, science, common sense and my own testing.