Understand Your Buyer > How To Engage > The Misspelt Domain Effect
What is it?
If the name of your business, product or service isn’t easy to read, write, speak and spell, then you might be losing potential buyers and website visitors who misspell your domain name. If your name has a common misspelling then it makes sense to own the .com domain name so you capture the opportunity.
Why does it work?
It works because most people are busy, lazy and looking for the easiest option. Even when you literally spell something out to someone, they can still get it wrong, so it makes sense to have a safety net that will catch people when they enter your domain name and spell it how they think it should be..
How can you use it?
You may already be aware that people struggle with your name… or you deliberately have to spell it out every time you talk with someone “That’s James with a Z…”
Here are some common issues people face:
- Hard to spell words where you flinch – like Fuchsia or Diarrhoea.
- Letter / number swapping – Is it “to go” or “2 go”
- Abbreviations – is it “YOU” or “U”?
- Deliberate misspelling – If you have created a misspelling of a normal word this can be tricky.
One last word on domain names…. from my experience buyers often guess in “.com” so whilst you may wish to have “.co.uk” “.org” or whatever works for your business, if you don’t have the “.com” you may be losing people who simply don’t find you online.
Simplifying touch points
Making it easy for people to interact with you and buy from you is a crucial factor but so easy to miss. Here are 9 ways you can make it easier for people to contact you:
- Catchall email – Never miss an email by ensuring that [email protected] gets delivered.
- Memorable phone number – If you want people to call you, make it easy for them to remember your number.
- Simple Email Address – Make it easy for people to email you by having “obvious” email addresses.
- Freephone / Freepost– If you want people to call or write to you, then making it free ensures there are no barriers.
- Simplified URL – Using a domain that’s easy to read, write, speak, spell and remember makes life easier for your buyer.
- Start here domain – Make it easy for new buyers and clients to know how to interact with you.
- Misspelt domain – If there is a common misspelling of your name then it makes sense to own the .com domain.
- DM Word – Make it easy for people to direct message (DM) you by giving them a keyword to use.
- QR Codes – Make it easy for people in the real world to find you online.
Like this kind of stuff? Want more?
Then Practical Sales Training™ is for you…
Action focussed, affordable sales training
for entrepreneurs and small business owners.
Brought to you by James Newell